• Currently 0/5 Stars.
You may use the stars on the left to rate and leave feedback for the current article. No registration is required. Waiting for 5 votes 0.0 of 5 stars (0 votes) — Thanks for your vote

Please fill out the following optional information before submitting your rating:


Who may adopt?
A resident for at least 6 months or a member of the armed forces domiciled in the state for 90 days.
A reputable adult of either sex.
A minor with leave of the court.
Husband and wife residing together must petition jointly; a husband or wife can adopt singly if he or she has been separated for one year or more. It need not be a legal separation.
Residency requirement does not apply to a related child or to an agency placement.

Consent for adoption to be executed?
The earliest point at which a mother may sign a Surrender or Consent to adoption is 72 hours after the birth of the baby. Once signed, Surrenders and Consents for adoption are final and irrevocable.
A father may sign a Surrender or Consent before the child's birth, but may change his mind (revoke it), if documented, within 72 hours of the child's birth. Once the child is 72 hours old, the Surrender or Consent is final and irrevocable.

Revocation of consent?
Consents are irrevocable unless obtained by fraud or duress.
No action to void consent may commence 12 months after consent was given.
The father may revoke consent within 72 hours after the birth.

Who may place a child for adoption?
The Department of Children and Family Services.
Any agency licensed by the department.

This issue is not addressed in the statutes reviewed.

This issue is not addressed in the statutes reviewed.

Putative Father's Registry?
Yes. The putative father may register before the birth of the child, but no later than 30 days after the child's birth.

Birth parent –
Reasonable living expenses, as defined by statute, where need is demonstrated. 720 ILCS 525/4; 4.1 Reasonable living expenses, as defined by statute, where need is demonstrated.
Reasonable and actual medical and hospital charges.
Reasonable attorney's fees.
Reasonable living expenses does not include lost wages, gifts, educational
expenses, or other similar expenses.
Payment of living expenses shall not extend beyond 30 days after the birth.
Petitioners shall have no right to seek reimbursement in the event that the birth parents choose not to place the child for adoption.

Department/Agency –
No person shall pay or give any compensation to any person or organization for placing a child, except for a child welfare agency.

Information provided in part by the Child Welfare Information Gateway.

Previous Chapter | Table of Contents | Next Chapter

Credits: Sandra Hanks Benoiton

Visitor Comments (0) - Be the first to comment
Adding your comments contributes to the adoption community. Please keep all comments on topic and civil. Visitors are invited to comment and vote for or flag comments based on appropriateness and helpfulness. All comments must adhere to our commenting rules and are subject to moderation.

To see local Adopting resources, please select a location (U.S. only):

Need a Home Study?
Adoption Photolisting
Hulk (PA / 6 / M)
Hulk is a vibrant and active young boy whose smile will brighten any room. He is very friendly and does not hesitate to offer a polite greeting to new faces. Hulk loves... [more]
Parent Profiles
We are Suzanne and Don and we would like to thank you for looking at our profile. We would like to create a future that best fits you and your child and would like to talk with... [more]
Directory of Adoption Professionals
Find a professional
for all of your adoption needs including:

Note: Our authors are dedicated to honest, engaged, informed, intelligent, and open conversation about adoption. The opinions expressed here may not reflect the views of

Settings Help Feedback
Template Settings
Width: 1024     1280
Choose a Location:
Choose a Theme: