• Currently 0/5 Stars.
You may use the stars on the left to rate and leave feedback for the current article. No registration is required. Waiting for 5 votes 0.0 of 5 stars (0 votes) — Thanks for your vote

Please fill out the following optional information before submitting your rating:


Who may adopt?
Any adult.
Husband and wife jointly.
A minor with his spouse to adopt the natural child of one of the parties.

Consent for adoption to be executed?
Written consent shall be executed no sooner than the 4th day after the birth of the child.

Revocation of consent?
Consent to adoption, executed according to statutory provision, is final and cannot be revoked.

Who may place a child for adoption?
The child's parent(s).
The Department of Social Services.
A licensed child-placing agency.

Except as otherwise provided by law, a person may not charge or receive, from or for a parent or prospective adoptive parent, any compensation for a service in connection with:

  • Placement of an individual to live with a preadoptive family
  • An agreement for custody in contemplation of adoption
  • This section does not prohibit payment, by an interested person, of a reasonable and customary charge or fee for adoption counseling, hospital, legal, or medical services.

No person shall place or knowingly facilitate the placement of any child in the care or control of any other person not related to such child by blood or marriage, or in the care or control of any organization other than a licensed or approved placement agency, for purposes of adoption.
No person unrelated to such child by blood or marriage, and no organization other than a licensed or approved placement agency, shall receive such a child for purposes of adoption, except from a licensed or approved placement agency.

Putative Father's Registry?
No. Notice of adoption proceedings is given to the father who has filed a parental responsibility claim with the Department of Social Services.
Within 30 days of notice concerning the child's adoption, the person claiming paternity must file a petition for adoption or custody of the child with the probate court.

Birth parent –
Not addressed in statutes reviewed.

Department/Agency –
Not addressed in statutes reviewed.

Information provided in part by the Child Welfare Information Gateway.

Previous Chapter | Table of Contents | Next Chapter

Credits: Sandra Hanks Benoiton

Visitor Comments (0) - Be the first to comment
Adding your comments contributes to the adoption community. Please keep all comments on topic and civil. Visitors are invited to comment and vote for or flag comments based on appropriateness and helpfulness. All comments must adhere to our commenting rules and are subject to moderation.
Settings Help Feedback
Template Settings
Width: 1024     1280
Choose a Location:
Choose a Theme: